Say goodbye to wearing glasses or contact lenses during the day with overnight corneal refractive therapy.
This safe, effective, non-surgical process reshapes your cornea while you sleep so that when you awake you can enjoy clear, comfortable, 20/20 vision all day long!
- At less than 1/3 of the cost of laser eye surgery, Ortho-K is an affordable, safe and painless alternative to wearing glasses and contact lenses during the day.
It’s a brilliant alternative to laser surgery for people who like to play sport and find it a hassle wearing glasses or contact lenses. Or for those who work in dry or dusty environments where regular contact lenses can be difficult to tolerate. There’s also an increasing body of evidence to suggest that Ortho-K can slow or halt the progression of myopia (short sightedness) in children.
- Vision correction without laser surgery
- Overcomes short sightedness
- Safe and painless
- Effective for all ages
- More affordable than laser eye surgery
- Ideal for people who do water sports
Orthokeratology or Ortho-K involves wearing specially shaped contact lenses that gently reshape the corneal surface during sleep. Upon waking, the contact lenses are removed and the reshaped cornea gives you clear, corrected vision the whole of the following day and sometimes even longer.
The reshaping effect takes about a week to reach its full effect, although there is generally a large improvement after the first night of wear. If the contact lenses are not worn for several nights then the elastic corneal tissue reverts back to its original shape – making the process completely reversible.
Orthokeratology is also known as Corneal Reshaping Therapy, Corneal Refractive Therapy and CRT.
Current technology caters for low to moderate prescriptions but new lens designs are extending this range all the time. Depending on your original eye shape, we can offer Ortho-K for prescriptions of up to -6.00 of myopia and -1.75 dioptres of astigmatism. And it’s available to people of any age!
What’s involved in having Ortho-K?
- Preliminary testing with topography
- Lens design with lens parameters calculated, designed and ordered.
- Overnight lens assessment. this measures the eye’s response to one nights wearing of the lenses and the fit is satisfactory.
- Aftercare. Following successful initial overnight wear, multiple evaluations are required to ensure the best visual outcome and comfort. Instruction in lens insertion and cleaning is provided.
Close follow up is essential during this initial phase and a 6 month aftercare service ensures that any issues you may have a re quickly resolved and that your lenses remain comfortable and effective. In some cases the initial lenses may need to be altered a few times.
This diagram shows the redistribution of curvature over the surface that causes the power change of the eye. It is this curvature change that allows us to dial up what we need by carefully controlling the contact lens geometry we can manipulate the pressure gradients in the tearfilm underneath the lens to curve the shape to ge the required change in optical prescription.
The following diagram shows the actual flattening of the front of the eye. The black circle in the middle is the pupil position. The red is the zone of maximum curvature.
At less than 1/3 of the cost of laser eye surgery, Ortho-K is an affordable, safe and painless alternative to wearing glasses and contact lenses during the day.